Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Twins' Birth Story

My twins were born, quite unexpectedly, on Wednesday last week. I was 34 weeks, 6 days pregnant. While it's not unusual for twins to be born early, I was totally in denial, despite the contractions I had been feeling throughout the day, and still have a hard time believing that they are finally here. But they are, and I am head-over-heels in love with them. Completely Obsessed. Here's how it all went down.

Not to say that this contributed in any way to my early labor, but I was a busy girl on the Monday and Tuesday before the twins were born. On Monday, I was really tired and didn't leave the house all day since we had a pretty big snow and ice storm that day. My daughter had to work, though, and she really isn't an experienced driver. Of course she would get her car stuck in the snow - TWICE - on our block on her way home. I had no choice but to go out and help her. I didn't try and push the car or anything (my daughter and my mom did that), but I did have to walk through the snow to get to her car and tried to maneuver the car into a driveable position. Unfortunately the snow/ice was so slushy that I couldn't even get it out, but one of our neighbors noticed our struggle and ultimately did help. I was probably outside for about an hour.

Then on Tuesday, I did some heavy shopping. We had events to go to on both Saturday and Sunday that week, and I wanted to make sure we had gifts to give "just in case" anything happened. My nephew's birthday party was on Saturday so I needed a gift for him, and then we were celebrating Christmas with my dad on Sunday (we always celebrate with that side of the family the first weekend in January). Lots and lots of gifts to buy. I was kicking myself for not getting it done earlier.

That Wednesday, I had nothing special to do, no plans, and I just wanted to relax. I had a scheduled doctor's appointment at 3:30 that afternoon and that was the only event in my calendar.

I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions on and off for a couple of weeks prior to Wednesday, so when my stomach would get hard and contract throughout the morning, I really didn't think anything of it. I knew I was in need of some serious rest after the Christmas holiday, and then the chaos of the last few days, and figured I was just tired. And the contractions were nothing new.

And then they kept coming.

It got to the point where I was catching my breath with a "Braxton Hicks" contraction about every 10-15 minutes. Still thought nothing of it. I figured that I had a doctor's appointment later that included a Non-Stress Test (NST) and I'd just let the test determine if these were really contractions.

Luckily for me, my husband had a better sense of intuition than I did because he decided to accompany me to the doctor's appointment and just be late for work that day. He wanted to make sure I was ok. {Cue the "Awwww".} We took separate cars though. I drove myself - while enduring the contractions.

Still, I was in denial.

At the doctor's office, the NST showed that yes, I was having contractions every 10-15 minutes. No biggie, right?

Then, the doctor performed a cervical check that showed that I was 1 cm dilated, and 75% effaced. Damn.

Not to worry though, doc said I should head to the hospital to get started on some fluids with the hopes that the contractions would subside. Phew - they would subside right? Right?!?!

Once again, drove myself the 15 minutes from the doctor's office to the hospital. Easy peasy. Just kept telling myself that I was going to get fluids to stop the contractions. It was going to be fine.

We get to the hospital, and I was taken to a small labor & delivery room. The nurse that took me in even made me feel kinda bad for being there in the first place. You should have seen her face when she learned that my contractions were 10-15 minutes apart and I was only 1 cm dilated. She made it seem like I was wasting her time.

"What doctor sent you here again?" Eye roll. "Oh, you'll be here for a long time." Double eye roll.

Regardless of her feelings about it, she had a job to do so she started an IV, and placed the monitors on my stomach. Then we just had to wait to see what was going on.

My last belly shot.
At this point I just wanted to go home. I wanted to get out of her hair, and be back at home where I belonged.

Problem was, the contractions kept on coming. Not super tough contractions, but contractions none the less.

By the time I was admitted to the hospital, it was about 4:30. Then the kicker...

After being there for just 2 hours, the doctor came in to check me. I was 5 cm dilated.

AAAAAGGGGHHHHH! I was in early labor.

I was so shocked I started to cry. I wanted to say "No, you've got it wrong. I don't want to do this now. I'm not ready. The twins are not ready. It's way too early. I want to go home. This is NOT right!"


I was previously scheduled for a c-section for 1/21/16, and it was only 12/30/15. Not even 2016 yet. Sooooo not ready.

But, ready or not, here they come!

After that announcement from the doctor, everything kinda happened in a blur. He said he didn't want me to further progress with labor, because I shouldn't get to the point where I wanted to push. It was GO TIME!

I was given a bunch of medications at one time - an antacid (I think), some really sugary drink, and a few other pills. Then comes the part I really didn't like.

Since I was having a c-section, my husband wouldn't be with me until the babies were about to arrive.


I needed him with me.

He calms me. He helps me. He's my rock.

And he couldn't be with me.

I was quickly wheeled out of that room to an OR. He was given scrubs to change into and told they would come for him when they were ready. I was so sad.

Then, in the OR, it felt like a bad dream. It was full of strangers. Different nurses - nurses for me, nurses for the babies, the anesthesiologist - basically just a bunch of people I didn't know.

When I was being given the spinal block, instead of leaning into my husband (like I did when I had an epidural when my son was born), I had to lean into a nurse whose name I couldn't even remember. And as my lower extremities began to numb, I was alone. All alone. It really was an awful feeling.

Then my doctor came in to start prepping and put the blue screen up in front of my face to block my view and I wanted to run out of the room.

Well, obviously the spinal block put the kabosh on that.

I hate things, anything, close to my face, and I was about to panic again.

Just before I started to scream, I hear my husband's voice in my ear talking some nonsense about Jimmy John's sandwiches.

Did I want mayo on my sandwich? I wanted an Italian sub, right? Would I want a drink with that? And other meaningless questions.

When I talked to him about it later, he said that the second he walked into the room and saw me, he knew what I was thinking and feeling. He could literally see the panic starting to rise in me all over my face. His questions were only meant to distract me from myself.

God, I love that man!

In that moment, he knew exactly what I needed.

Then, a little pressure, and seconds later...crying!!! My daughter, Lauryn, had arrived. It was 8:15 pm. And just one minute later, my son, Peyton, was introduced to the world.

It really happened that fast.

After that, they quickly cleaned up the babies, let us take a few pictures, then whisked them away to the NICU. My husband and I were taken to a recovery room where we stayed for more than two hours. And just like the reaction I had to the epidural when my son was born 5 years ago, I had an allergic reaction to the spinal block too. Itching and scratching all over. This lasted for about 3 days. All I wanted to do was see my babies.

Finally, at around 10:45 pm, I was able to see them in the NICU.

They are here, and They. Are. Perfect.

Unfortunately, their arrival included a stay in the NICU, and I'll share that story soon.

Thanks for sticking with me for this super long post. I didn't want to omit anything, as I'm going to want to return to this post time and time again. Time does a number on our memory, and I don't want to forget a second of it. These are likely my last babies and I want to remember this forever.

Enjoy some pics of their first day!




  1. So sweet! And congratulations! I had 2 csections and they are scary for sure.. be sure to rest up and enjoy those sweet babies!!

  2. Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!

  3. Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!